In the Philippines, while food businesses can be a good option to start a business, it has its unique set of challenges. One of the biggest concerns is ensuring the safety and quality of the food products they offer to consumers. This is where food packaging plays a crucial role.
Food packaging serves several important functions for food businesses in the Philippines. Firstly, it helps to protect the food from contamination and spoilage. This is particularly important in a country where food safety is a major concern. By keeping the food sealed and protected, food packaging can help to ensure that it is safe for consumers to eat.
For those planning to start an online food business in the Philippines, it’s important to recognize that food packaging will become a vital component of their operations. Let’s dive in further to share more about food packaging and the different types of it.
Why is food packaging important
Aside from ensuring the quality of food, food packaging also plays a crucial role in marketing and promoting the product. An eye-catching and well-designed packaging can attract consumers and differentiate the product from competitors.
In a competitive marketplace, packaging can be the deciding factor in persuading a consumer to choose one product over another.
Furthermore, food packaging can provide vital information to consumers, such as nutritional information, ingredient lists, and cooking instructions. This data can help consumers make informed decisions about what they are consuming and can also aid those with dietary restrictions or allergies.
Additionally, food packaging can extend the shelf life of a product, allowing it to be transported and stored for longer periods. This is particularly crucial for online food businesses where products need to be transported over long distances or stored for extended periods before being consumed.
What are the different types of food packaging
There are various types of food packaging used in the Philippines, each with its own unique properties and benefits. Here are some common types of food packaging used in the country:
- Plastic Packaging – Plastic is a common material used in food packaging due to its lightweight, durability, and cost-effectiveness. It is often used for packaging snacks, candies, and other small food items.
- Paper Packaging – Paper packaging is a more eco-friendly option that is often used for dry food products such as cereals, pasta, and rice. It can be recycled, making it a more sustainable option compared to plastic.
- Glass Packaging – Glass packaging is a popular option for food products such as sauces, jams, and spreads. It is non-toxic, impermeable, and helps to preserve the quality and taste of the food.
- Metal Packaging – Metal packaging, such as aluminum cans, is commonly used for beverages and canned goods. It is durable and provides a long shelf life for the food product.
- Flexible Packaging – Flexible packaging includes materials such as foil, paper, and plastic laminates, and is often used for snacks, confectionery, and other food items. It is lightweight, cost-effective, and offers a high level of protection to the food product.
- Biodegradable Packaging – Biodegradable packaging is becoming increasingly popular in the Philippines due to the country’s focus on sustainability. It is made from natural materials such as cornstarch, sugarcane, or bamboo, and is designed to break down naturally over time.
These are just some of the most common types of food packaging used in the Philippines. The choice of packaging material often depends on the type of food product, its packaging requirements, and the brand’s sustainability goals.
What are some ideal food packaging choices for online food businesses
For online food businesses, the choice of packaging is particularly important, as it can directly impact the quality and safety of the food during transportation and storage. The packaging material should be durable, lightweight, and able to maintain the integrity of the food product.
Flexible packaging and plastic packaging are often popular options for online food businesses as they are lightweight, cost-effective, and provide a high level of protection to the food. However, as the focus on sustainability grows in the Philippines, biodegradable packaging made from natural materials such as sugarcane, cornstarch, or bamboo is becoming increasingly popular.
Here are some examples of food packaging materials that are suitable for online food businesses in the Philippines:
- Plastic pouches – These are often used for packaging snacks, candies, and other small food items. They are lightweight, cost-effective, and provide a high level of protection to the food.
- Aluminium foil – This is a popular option for packaging food products such as sandwiches, burgers, and wraps. It is lightweight, easy to use, and helps to keep the food fresh and protected.
- Biodegradable containers – Made from natural materials such as sugarcane, cornstarch, or bamboo, these containers are eco-friendly and sustainable. They are often used for packaging salads, rice bowls, and other food products.
- Glass jars – Glass jars are often used for packaging sauces, jams, and spreads. They are non-toxic, impermeable, and help to preserve the quality and taste of the food.
- Cardboard boxes – These are often used for shipping and storing larger food items such as cakes, pastries, and bread. They are sturdy, easy to stack, and provide a high level of protection to the food during transportation.
6 food packaging tips for online food business
When choosing food packaging for your online food business in the Philippines, here are some tips to consider:
- Consider the type of food product – The type of food product you are selling will determine the type of packaging you need. For example, dry foods such as snacks or nuts can be packaged in plastic pouches, while sauces and dips may require glass jars or plastic containers.
- Choose the right size – The size of the packaging should be appropriate for the quantity of food being sold. Choosing a packaging that is too big or too small can affect the overall presentation and may result in unnecessary waste.
- Prioritise food safety – The packaging material should be durable, lightweight, and able to maintain the integrity of the food product. It should also be able to protect the food from contamination and spoilage during transportation and storage.
- Consider sustainability – Consumers are becoming increasingly conscious about the impact of packaging on the environment. Consider using biodegradable or compostable packaging materials that are eco-friendly and sustainable.
- Optimise the visual appeal – Eye-catching and well-designed packaging can help to attract customers and differentiate the product from competitors. Choose packaging that complements your brand’s identity and messaging.
- Include all necessary information – The packaging should include all necessary information, such as nutritional information, ingredient lists, and cooking instructions, to help customers make informed decisions about their purchases.
By following these tips, you can ensure that the packaging for your online food business is safe, sustainable, visually appealing, and provides customers with all the necessary information they need to make an informed purchase.
Good packaging drives to better sales
For all F&B business owners in the Philippines, the privilege of turning their passion into their profession is undeniable. However, being passionate about food alone is not enough to survive in the highly competitive F&B industry.
It’s crucial for brands to continuously seek ways to distinguish themselves in the market. By following best practices and implementing effective product packaging strategies, F&B brands can successfully stand out from the competition. So be sure to put food packaging as one of your priorities when setting up a food business!